Applicants should hold a relevant degree at undergraduate level or above; preference will be given to those possessing a degree at honours level, though consideration will also be given to those holding ordinary degrees.
In addition to the above, applicants must hold:
- Scottish Higher (C or above), OR
- A level (D or above), OR
- GCSE English Language (C/4 or above) and English Literature (C/4 or above) or equivalent, PLUS
Mathematics or Applications of Mathematics:
- National 5 (C or above), OR
- SQA Intermediate 2 (C or above) or Standard grade Credit OR
- GCSE Mathematics (C/4 or above) or equivalent
Months of entry
The course is offered in partnership with Argyll and Bute, Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, Highland, Moray, Orkney Islands, Perth and Kinross, and Shetland Islands Councils, each working with the university through their local campus. The course is also offered in partnership with Scottish Borders council, with applicants based in the Borders registered through Inverness College UHI.
The PGDE (Secondary) consists of 18 weeks study at the university plus 18 weeks in professional practice in schools.
The subjects listed below can be studied at the following campuses: Argyll College UHI (Oban); Inverness College UHI; Lews Castle College UHI (Stornoway); Moray College UHI; North Highland College UHI; Orkney College UHI; Perth College UHI; Shetland UHI; the Scottish Borders; or West Highland College UHI.
- Art and Design* (code: X3AR)
- Biology and Science (code: X3BG)
- Business Education (code: X3BS
- Chemistry and Science (code: X3CS)
- Computing Science (code: X3CO)
- English (code: X3EN)
- History* (code: X3HS)
- Home Economics (code: X3HO)
- Mathematics (code: X3MA)
- Music* (code: X3MS)
- Physics and Science (code: X3PS)
- Religious Education* (code: X3RG)
- Technological Education (code: X3TC)
The course is sometimes available at Lochgilphead (through Argyll College UHI) and at Benbecula (through Lews Castle College UHI). This decision is made annually and is dependent on the number of applicants in those areas.
*Not available in Perth College or Scottish Borders
**Gaelic is offered on the Gaelic-medium Secondary pathway (code: X130)
- Opportunity to undertake secondary education programme in the Highlands and Islands and Scottish Borders
- We actively encourage applications for dual registration for two secondary subjects from the above list
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- 01463 279190