The standard entry requirement for the MSc by Research is a minimum of a 2:2 or overseas equivalent in a relevant subject - chemistry, or chemistry related depending on the nature of the project.
However, individual circumstances such as previous experience and relevant work experience are also taken into account and applications are welcomed from interested applicants.
Months of entry
January, October, July, April
In the Department of Chemistry we offer a range of programmes that can be taken full or part time. Research projects can be carried out in virtually any area of chemistry as long as a suitable project and supervisor can be allocated, meaning you can specialise in your own specific area of interest. You will work under the guidance of an academic supervisor who is expert in that particular field, and alongside other members of the research group including academics, post-doctoral researchers as well as fellow postgraduate students. Find out more about the benefits of studying for a postgraduate research degree in Chemistry at York.
As a research student in the Department of Chemistry, you can expect:
- a dedicated supervisor to help direct your research and training
- a Thesis Advisory Panel (TAP) comprising two members of staff to monitor your progress and offer impartial advice, meeting twice per year
- regular progress meetings with your supervisor, and more informal interactions with your supervisor on a day-to-day basis
- training programmes designed to provide you with research, teaching and transferable skills. This is delivered through our Innovative Doctoral Training in Chemistry Programme
- seminar programmes from leading scientists, and opportunities to present your own research
- A student mentor to support your transition to postgraduate research and provide collaboration and networking opportunities
Qualification and course duration
MSc by research
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Administrator
- +44 (0) 1904 324544