A good honours degree with the ability to pursue research in a chosen field.
Months of entry
January, December, November, October, September, August, July, June, May, April, March, February
The School of Modern Languages offers the possibility to do a PhD/MPhil in French Studies. The School has a long tradition of excellent postgraduate student support. Depending on the chosen research area, students will be assigned one or two supervisors and are guaranteed full access to computing facilities (including translation memory software), library provision and all School resources including the film library. There is a dedicated postgraduate study area within the School which students are encouraged to use as often as they can.
Our academic staff in French Studies can offer MPhil/PhD supervision on a wide variety of topics, a selection of which are listed below:
- Race, immigration and national identity in France
- French cinema
- Cultural representations of the banlieues
- Multiculturalism and humour in France
- Contemporary French politics
- French Travel Writing
- Urban Cultures
- Theories of Space
- Bande dessinée
- Adaptation from/into literature, film, comic art and theatre
- Cultural representations of Brittany
- Theories of ‘voice’ in French-language literature and film.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions
- +44 (0)1248 383717