A good honours degree with the ability to pursue research in a chosen field.
Months of entry
January, December, November, October, September, August, July, June, May, April, March, February
The School of Modern Languages offers the possibility to do a PhD/MPhil in German Studies. The School has a long tradition of excellent postgraduate student support. Depending on the chosen research area, students will be assigned one or two supervisors and are guaranteed full access to computing facilities (including translation memory software), library provision and all School resources including the film library. There is a dedicated postgraduate study area within the School which students are encouraged to use as often as they can.
Our academic staff in German Studies can offer MPhil/PhD supervision on a wide variety of topics, a selection of which are listed below:
- Contemporary Austrian literature
- Post-War German poetry
- East German history, society and politics
- Memory in contemporary Germany
- Monuments and memorials in Germany and Austria
- Post-1945 and contemporary German literature and film
- (Generational) narratives of trauma and memory
- Post-war Austrian society and politics
- German Romanticism
- Nineteenth-century women’s writing in Germany
- German/Spanish literary relations (19th century)
- Space, place and identity in contemporary Germany
- Representations of ageing, illness and death
- German critical theory in translation.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions
- +44 (0)1248 383717