The entry requirements to study the SQE1&2 Diploma are:
- Minimum 2:2 honours law degree that covers the following seven foundational areas of legal knowledge (Criminal Law, Equity and Trusts, Law of the European Union, Contract, Tort, Property/Land Law and Public Law); OR
- Minimum 2:2 honours degree in a non-law subject (or overseas equivalent in any subject) and a minimum of a pass in a GDl/PGDL or CPE that covers the foundational areas of legal knowledge; OR
- Minimum 2:2 honours degree in a non-law subject (or overseas equivalent in any subject) and have obtained a mark of 50% or more in our admissions test on the foundational areas of legal knowledge set by BPP University Law School; OR
- Equivalent qualifications such as (ILEx/CILEx)
Months of entry
Trusted by over 260 of the leading law firms
If you’re looking to become a solicitor, our SQE1&2 Diploma will give you the skills and knowledge you need to pass the SQE exams and succeed in practice.
The first choice for SQE training
- Benefit from maximum support including monthly skills and knowledge drop-in sessions, revision forums and 1-2-1s with your dedicated personal tutor
- Access Bridge to the SQE as soon as you accept your place, with 40 hours of additional study covering Navigating the SQE, Legal Technology and Virtual Vacation Schemes to enhance your employability before the start of your SQE course
- 6-month QWE placement contracts exclusively available for five of our students through our award-winning Social Impact Team.
- Career Guarantee: if you don’t secure a relevant legal role within six months of passing SQE2, study our Career Boost package including a range of valuable employability courses for free.
How you’ll learn
The SQE1&2 Diploma is taught via workshops to small groups of students. You’ll experience live, face-to-face teaching which provides an important social and collaborative learning environment. You’ll also benefit from our professionally experienced SQE tutors, who use their expertise to bring your studies to life.
In addition to interactive workshops, you’ll benefit from our AI-driven adaptive learning platform, BPP Adapt. Adapt identifies our strengths and areas for improvement, so you can measure your progress and feel confident in your ability to pass the SQE exams.
Online Classroom Live
Study face-to-face at one of our law centres or opt for online study via Online Classroom Live, our premium virtual classroom.
Our online course materials provide you with all you need to maximise your independent learning alongside live teaching. They allow you to work like a modern solicitor, accessing digital files and notes in a way that reflects future legal practice.
Internal assessments on this course count towards your diploma award.
For the SQE1 Preparation, you’ll sit multiple-choice assessments. These are written in the same style as the SQE1 papers and reflect the required knowledge you will need to pass the external assessment.
You will also be required to submit a portfolio of skills and a reflective statement to demonstrate development of your core legal skills.
SQE2 Training will be assessed through both a personal development plan, identifying areas of good practice and areas of further development in preparation for the SQE2 assessments, and a 4,500 word personal reflective statement with a supporting portfolio of evidence.
The cost of the external SQE exams is not included in your course fees.
Our SQE1&2 Diploma provides you with the Functioning Legal Knowledge (FLK) that is assessed in both parts of SQE: SQE and SQE2. You’ll also develop the core legal skills that are tested in the SQE2 assessment.
SQE1 Preparation focuses on the legal practice areas of what is collectively known as Functioning Legal Knowledge (FLK). FLK is assessed in SQE1 which comprises two papers: FLK1 and FLK2. FLK consists of core areas of law covered in your law undergraduate degree or conversion course, plus the practice subject areas which you will learn in SQE1 Preparation.
What you’ll revise:
- Contract (FLK1)
- Tort (FLK1)
- Criminal Law (FLK2)
- Land Law (FLK2)
- Trusts (FLK2)
What you’ll learn:
- Business Law and Practice (FLK1)
- Dispute Resolution (FLK1)
- Criminal Law and Practice (FLK2)
- Property Law and Practice (FLK2)
- Wills and the Administration of Estates (FLK2)
Legal Services (FLK1), Professional Conduct (FLK1&2), Taxation (FLK1&2), and Solicitors Accounts (FLK2) will also be covered together with helpful revision materials for the Legal System of England and Wales.
SQE2 Training will build on the foundations laid in SQE1 Preparation and develop your understanding of key assessment criteria featured in the SQE2 exam.
You will develop the following skills that align to the areas of practice assessed in SQE2:
- Case and matter analysis
- Client interviewing and attendance note writing
- Legal research
- Legal writing
- Legal drafting
- Negotiation skills
Fees and funding
To widen access to the legal profession, we offer an extensive range of funding options to ensure finance isn’t a barrier to a promising legal career.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time8 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
- Online learningis available for this qualification
- part time16 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- BPP Admissions
- +44 (0) 3300 603 100