- A 2:2 or above UK Honours degree, or equivalent internationally recognised qualification, usually from a scientific/engineering background and/or a numerate subject area.
- Applicants with other qualifications and industrial experience (relevant to the subject area) may be considered, and will assessed on an individual basis. Industrial certifications may be taken into account (those provided by organisations such as Microsoft and Sun). Such applicants may be required to attend an interview.
Months of entry
Data is being collected at an unprecedented speed and scale – but 'big data' is of little use without 'big insight'. The skills required to develop such insight are in short supply and the shortage of skilled workers in the data analytics market is cited as a key barrier.
The Data Science and Analytics MSc programme provides these skills, combining a strong academic programme with hands-on experience of leading commercial technology – and the chance to gain industry certification.
You will develop both your critical awareness of the state-of-the-art in data science and the practical skills that help you apply data science more effectively in the business, science and social world.
The programme is run in conjunction with SAS, a market leader in business analytics software and services, and the largest independent vendor in the business intelligence market.
The Harvard Business Review calls data science the “sexiest job of the 21st century” – with demand for graduates with SAS skills rapidly rising across financial, retail and government sectors. Data science is now in vogue.
From government, social networks and ecommerce sites to sensors, smart meters and mobile networks, data is being collected at an unprecedented speed and scale – creating an expanding job market for qualified data analysts.
The practical aspects of many of the modules will allow you to gain hands-on experience of several commercial SAS tools (e.g. SAS BASE, Enterprise Guide, Enterprise Miner and Visual Analytics). This experience is designed, in part, to develop skills in preparation for the SAS certification part of the programme.
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Comprehend the key concepts and nuances of the disciplines that need to be synthesised for effective data science.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the challenges and issues arising from taking heterogeneous data at volume and scale, understanding what it represents and turning that understanding into insight for business, scientific or social innovation (i.e. data science).
- Develop a practical understanding of the skills, tools and techniques necessary for the effective application of data science.
- Apply a practical understanding of data science to problems in social, business and scientific domains.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of applied data science in relation to the issues addressed.
Information for international students
English language requirements
- IELTS: 6.5 (min 6 in all areas)
- Pearson: 58 (51 in all subscores)
- BrunELT: 65% (min 60% in all areas)
Fees and funding
Learn more at the postgraduate funding page.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1895 265599