Our conditions of entry to the PGCE Secondary Education programme require that applicants have:
- An undergraduate or postgraduate degree in the field in which you intend to teach. Normally this should be a 2.2 classification or above in preparation for Masters level professional study.
- Maths and English grades A* to C or equivalent at GCSE level.
- Passed the required Skills Tests - via the UCAS TT application cycle. Brunel University London will accept applications for our PGCE courses prior to completion of the NCTL Skills Tests. However, if you are offered a place on one of the programmes and have yet to meet the requirements of passing the Skills Tests, then your offer will be conditional based on passing these tests by a date specified in your offer letter.
To further strengthen your application, we also recommend that applicants have:
- Modules within your degree course which should provide a foundation of preparatory knowledge for the phase or subject you are applying to teach;
- An informed personal philosophy on the aims of your phase/subject area, drawing on relevant reading and research;
- An understanding of statutory requirements for your phase/subject area within the state school sector;
- An awareness of recent government policy or initiatives in education and your phase/subject area
- Recent and relevant experience of state school education in England, either team teaching or observing with experienced teachers. This should normally be pre professional teaching experience where you have had the opportunity to develop relationships with a group(s) of pupils over a sustained period of time.
- The ability to communicate effectively in both spoken and written English. If selected for interview, you will be expected to interact effectively with university tutors and school colleagues and demonstrate the potential to form positive and productive relationships with colleagues and pupils in schools and in professional learning contexts.
- An awareness of the Teachers’ Standards (DfE, 2013).
- An enthusiastic and energetic approach which communicates clearly your commitment to teaching and working with young people.
Months of entry
All our Education courses have been developed in collaboration with Partnership schools and the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL). This ensures not only the highest possible quality of provision, but also relevance in reflecting national and school-level priorities in Education.
School and Local Authorities are increasingly seeking to employ teachers with not only high levels of competence and skill in classroom practice, but practitioners who have advanced subject knowledge for teaching and enhanced knowledge of systems and theories relevant to education. Therefore, the aims of this program are:
- to enable student teachers to develop a critical understanding of issues and theories that impact upon classroom practice in teaching, learning and assessment in secondary schools;
- to support student teachers in their exploration and critical reflection on their own and others practice in relation to national and regional priorities and policies and current research relevant to the Key Stages for this programme;
- to promote student teachers' practical teaching skills and subject knowledge for teaching across the relevant Key Stages for this programme, making links with relevant theory to inform practice.
The programme aims to further develop students' existing transferable skills in communication, literacy, numeracy and critical reasoning. It is suitable for those who wish to gain employment as teachers and who aspire to progress to leadership and management roles in schools or in the wider world of education. It will provide an excellent foundation for progression to either higher academic or advanced professional qualifications.
Information for international students
English language requirements
- IELTS: 7 (min 6 in all areas)
- Pearson: 64 (51 in all subscores)
- BrunELT: 70% (min 60% in all areas)
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1895 265599