A 2:2 (or above) UK Honours degree, or equivalent internationally recognised qualification, in a Media/Communications-related subject (Media; Communications; Cultural Studies; Politics) preferably in the field of Sociology. Applicants with other qualifications, or equivalent professional qualifications, with considerable relevant work experience will be considered on an individual basis.
Months of entry
This well-established postgraduate course is taught as an intensive year-long programme and offers students an interdisciplinary approach to the study of new media and communications practices.
It aims to explore:
- How does the media shape culture and society?
- What role does the media play in people's lives?
- Is the media creating a global culture?
- Are audiences now producers?
- Do social networking sites influence personal communication?
- Are young people disconnected from traditional politics?
The Media and Communications course focuses on the rapid changes in global media and communications and their social and cultural consequences within an international context.
Students have the opportunity to meet professionals working in the broadcast, advertising and marketing industries who visit us on campus and through organised field trips.
The Master’s course combines theoretical and empirical study of the media including issues of media audiences together with the study of developments in information and communication technologies.
The department scored highly in the 2008 RAE exercise with a rating that made it the top department of its size in the UK. We have a long tradition of research in Sociology and Communications and all of our staff are research active.
Information for international students
English language requirements
- IELTS: 6.5 (min 6 in all areas)
- Pearson: 58 (51 in all subscores)
- BrunELT: 65% (min 60% in all areas)
Fees and funding
Learn more at the postgraduate funding page.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1895 265599