For entry requirements for this course, please visit our website
Months of entry
The MSc Compound Semiconductor Physics has been designed to deliver thorough training and practical experience in compound semiconductor theory, fabrication and applications, and integration with silicon technology.
The MSc Compound Semiconductor Physics has been designed to deliver thorough training and practical experience in compound semiconductor theory, fabrication, applications, and integration with silicon technology.
The programme is jointly delivered by the School of Physics and Astronomy and the Institute for Compound Semiconductors (ICS). The ICS is an exciting new development at the cutting edge of compound semiconductor technology. The Institute has been established as a founding member of the Compound Semiconductor Cluster, which also includes companies such as IQE plc, SPTS and Newport Wafer Fab, to capitalise on the existing expertise at Cardiff University and to move academic research to a point where it can be introduced reliably and quickly into the production environment. It is a unique facility in the UK, and aims to create a global hub for compound semiconductor technology research, development and innovation.
Our flexible curriculum contains a robust set of required modules and a number of cutting-edge elective modules, which include the latest results, innovations and techniques and are designed to incorporate the most effective teaching and learning techniques.
As part of the course you will undertake a 3 month summer project which will be based either in the School of Physics and Astronomy, within the ICS, or in placement with one of our industrial partners. We have strong, long-established industrial links with companies such as IQE and are therefore in a unique position to be able to offer a portfolio of theoretical, practical, fabrication and applications-centred projects in both academic and industrial placement environments. No other Russell Group university can offer such opportunities in this field.
Upon graduation, you will have the training, skillsets and hands-on experience you need to succeed in the dynamic and highly competitive field of compound semiconductors.
- Cardiff University’s unique position at the forefront of compound semiconductor technology will provide you with the opportunity to develop experience and build contacts with a range of leading companies and organisations.
- Our specialist elective modules are delivered by expert scientists, who deliver their courses based on their research expertise and current research portfolio.
- We offer a range of specialist modules that give you the opportunity to tailor the programme to suit your interests and ambitions. Whether you’re fascinated by superconductivity and magnetism or want to specialise in photonics we have modules to suit you. We also have modules designed to develop commercial skills and more technical options such as advanced LabVIEW programming.
- Central to the design of this programme is the opportunity to take ownership of real theoretical or practical projects. You will have acquired a full year’s worth of practical research experience by the time you complete your MSc, greatly enhancing your CV and prospects for employment or further study.
- You will be trained in the practical use of the LabVIEW programming environment. Recognised by industry this will serve as a solid foundation for preparing for the National Instruments (NI) Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer (CLAD) examination.
- We currently offer the opportunity to take the CLAD examination for free as an extra-curricular activity, supported by our certified academic staff. CLAD status is industrially recognised and indicates a broad working knowledge of the LabVIEW environment.
- We encourage a “research group” atmosphere within which you’ll be given the opportunity to work together, across disciplines, to enhance each other’s learning and be a vital part of our thriving, international scientific community.
Fees and funding
Home-fee paying students can apply for a £3,000 Master’s Excellence Scholarship. Home-fee and overseas-fee paying students can apply for the Rockley Photonics Scholarship, (please ensure that you check the eligibility criteria).
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Recruitment Enquiries
- +44 (0)29 2087 4455