Postgraduate degree (required for research programmes):
- a sport science related Masters or an appropriate MPhil award in a sport science related area
- RPL is accepted on this course
- IELTS 7.0 (minimum of 6.5 in each component)
- If you have applied to study a full-time taught Masters, MRes, MPhil or PhD at LJMU, you should check if you require an Academic Technology Approval Scheme or ATAS certificate
- International students entering on a Tier 4 visa cannot study part-time
Months of entry
LJMU's Professional Doctorate in Applied Sport and Exercise Science enables you to create and interpret new knowledge associated with your own professional practice.
- Designed to support the creation and interpretation of new professional practice in your own area
- Enjoy high quality supervision on this programme which is underpinned by high-grade research
- Go on to work with elite athletes or take up a position in physical activity promotion, education, teaching or research
- Work closely with academic staff who are leaders in their research field and experts in training
Applied Sport and Exercise Science is an established discipline with growing possibilities for qualified professionals.
Opportunities for professional training at doctoral level are increasingly important for vocational careers within sport and exercise. This doctorate facilitates the creation and interpretation of new professional knowledge.
To obtain the award you will need to complete a related Masters programme or MPhil and spend two or more years acquiring a range of supervised skills connected with applied research.
The programme is underpinned by a strong focus on equipping future Applied Sport and Exercise Scientists for a range of professional scenarios associated with problem solving.
You will develop your skills as a research practitioner, more specifically the ability to complete research projects in the real world. You will also demonstrate that you have the generic professional skills required to be an Applied Sport and Exercise Scientist through your own work-based learning experiences, taught sessions on the programme and extensive supervision.
Information for international students
Further information is also available from our international web pages.
Fees and funding
Please see the course page for more details.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time72 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0151 231 5090