Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
You will normally have an undergraduate honours degree awarded by a UK university, or an equivalent higher education qualification. 2:2 or above, or equivalent which supports the subject knowledge requirements of the National Curriculum for Physical Education.
For exceptional candidates, particularly those with substantial relevant work experience in schools or relevant occupations, we will consider applications from those who hold a 3rd class degree.
You will also need GCSEs at grade C/4 or above in English language and mathematics. However, you may be able to apply with GCSEs pending for this course as we can offer Manchester Met GCSE Equivalency tests. This will be at the discretion of the admissions tutor, and only offered if considered appropriate after interview.
We do not accept the following qualifications as equivalent to GCSE: Adult numeracy and literacy, Functional Skills or Key Skills
Experience in educational settings
Successful candidates will demonstrate a good understanding of teaching and learning within a secondary school setting.
You may wish to evidence your understanding by drawing on related examples or experiences, such as time spent in schools or other learning settings.
- Knowledge and understanding of a wide range of physical education activities.
- An ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English.
- Excellent inter-personal skills.
- An informed and realistic understanding of the complexities and challenge of teaching in a Secondary school.
- An understanding of how learning develops within an engaging rich and broad context, with recognition of the contribution made by parents and carers.
- Personal qualities and abilities appropriate to becoming an effective teacher, including a strong motivation to teach young students, an ability to express personal views with clarity and conviction, to listen and respond appropriately to the views of others, awareness of, and commitment to, issues relating to Equal Opportunities and providing all students with an inclusive learning environment.
- Intellectual capacity to critically reflect upon experience and personal challenges.
A Disclosure and Barring Service Check and DfE Fitness to Teach test are also required.
Overseas candidates should have Cambridge Proficiency in English or IELTS Band 7 with no less than 6.0 in any element.
You will be expected to attend an interview as part of the application process. Full details of your interview will be provided by email once your initial application has been approved.
Months of entry
Our one-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) prepares you to teach across the secondary school physical education curriculum.
We teach most of our lessons through practical demonstrations and you’ll mainly study with your PGCE Physical Education group. You’ll use sports facilities in the Brooks building and at Platt Lane Sports complex.
When you’re at Manchester Met, you’ll learn the methodology of how to teach the full physical education curriculum to support your pupils to develop their skills, understanding and social involvement in sports, including assessment models, differentiation in ability, organisation models and instruction strategies.
You’ll also develop your sports subject knowledge to help you grow the physical education curriculum in schools. Some of the sports you’ll learn include basketball, badminton, rugby, netball, tennis, gymnastics, football, cricket and table tennis.
All curriculum activities are delivered through practical sessions with physical education specialists. This is to help you learn the skills you’ll need as a teacher and to introduce you to ways of teaching.
Through this PGCE, you’ll consider how to plan lessons, reflect on your planning, learn how research can develop your teaching practice, and look at ways to develop your teacher persona.
You won’t only learn teaching methods with us on campus though, you’ll spend at least 120 days on placements in a variety of schools, gradually increasing your involvement to become an expert practitioner.
This course is available via University led and School Direct routes.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)161 247 6969