Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
You will normally have an undergraduate honours degree awarded by a UK university, or an equivalent higher education qualification. 2:2 or above, or equivalent which supports the subject knowledge requirements of the National Curriculum for Physical Education.
For exceptional candidates, particularly those with substantial relevant work experience in schools or relevant occupations, we will consider applications from those who hold a 3rd class degree.
You will also need GCSEs at grade C/4 or above in English language and mathematics. However, you may be able to apply with GCSEs pending for this course as we can offer Manchester Met GCSE equivalency tests. This will be at the discretion of the admissions tutor, and only offered if considered appropriate after interview.
We do not accept the following qualifications as equivalent to GCSE: Adult numeracy and literacy, Functional Skills or Key Skills
Experience in educational settings
Successful candidates will demonstrate a good understanding of teaching and learning within a secondary school setting.
You may wish to evidence your understanding by drawing on related examples or experiences, such as time spent in schools or other learning settings.
- Knowledge and understanding of a wide range of physical education activities.
- An ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English.
- Excellent inter-personal skills.
- An informed and realistic understanding of the complexities and challenge of teaching in a secondary school.
- An understanding of how learning develops within an engaging rich and broad context, with recognition of the contribution made by parents and carers.
- Personal qualities and abilities appropriate to becoming an effective teacher, including a strong motivation to teach young students, an ability to express personal views with clarity and conviction, to listen and respond appropriately to the views of others, awareness of, and commitment to, issues relating to Equal Opportunities and providing all students with an inclusive learning environment.
- Intellectual capacity to critically reflect upon experience and personal challenges.
A Disclosure and Barring Service Check and DfE Fitness to Teach test are also required.
Overseas candidates should have Cambridge Proficiency in English or IELTS Band 7 with no less than 6.0 in any element.
You will be expected to attend an interview as part of the application process. Full details of your interview will be provided by email once your initial application has been approved
Months of entry
Our one-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) prepares you to teach across the secondary school physical education curriculum for the 11-16 age range.
When you’re at Manchester Met, you’ll look at aspects of practical physical activities and sports in the English PE curriculum throughout KS3 and KS4. You’ll engage with teaching strategies to enhance skill development, pupils’ knowledge and understanding in PE, social development and positive emotive experiences in an active learning environment.
Throughout the course, you’ll also learn how to organise, manage and teach both the practical and the theoretical aspects of the course. Most of the sessions are in a practical learning environment, in our facilities at Platt Lane Sports Complex.
Through peer-teaching you’ll get the opportunity to share experiences and learn from your fellow students in practical lessons, and by delivering GCSE and A-Level theory topics. The course will also include engagement with external providers to facilitate additional sports specific teaching awards.
Through this PGCE, you’ll be expected to embed yourself in a range of relevant theory, including child development, subject specific pedagogy, physical learning theory and engage with technology in PE.
This course is available via University-led and School Direct routes.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)161 247 6969