You will normally have a minimum of a 2:2 undergraduate honours degree awarded by a UK university, or an equivalent higher education qualification. Your degree needs to support the subject knowledge requirements for teaching social science. For exceptional candidates, particularly those with substantial relevant work experience in schools or relevant occupations, we will consider applications from those who hold a 3rd class degree.
You will also need GCSEs at grade C/4 or above in English language and mathematics. However, you may be able to apply with GCSEs pending for this course as we can offer Manchester Met GCSE equivalency tests. This will be at the discretion of the admissions tutor, and only offered if considered appropriate after interview.
We do not accept the following qualifications as equivalent to GCSE: adult numeracy and literacy, functional skills or key skills.
You can apply with GCSEs pending for this course and in exceptional circumstances Manchester Met GCSE equivalency tests may be offered. This will be at the discretion of the admissions tutor and will only be offered if considered appropriate after interview.
Experience in educational settings
Successful candidates will demonstrate a good understanding of teaching and learning within a secondary school setting.
You may wish to evidence your understanding by drawing on related examples or experiences, such as time spent in schools or other learning settings.
- Appropriate post-16 qualifications.
- An ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- An informed and realistic understanding of the complexities and challenge of teaching in a secondary school.
- An understanding of how learning develops within an engaging rich and broad context, with recognition of the contribution made by parents and carers.
- Personal qualities and abilities appropriate to becoming an effective teacher, including a strong motivation to teach young students, an ability to express personal views with clarity and conviction, to listen and respond appropriately to the views of others, awareness of, and commitment to, issues relating to equal opportunities and providing all students with an inclusive learning environment.
- Intellectual capacity to critically reflect upon experience and personal challenges.
A Disclosure and Barring Service Check and DfE Fitness to Teach test are also required.
Overseas candidates should have Cambridge Proficiency in English or IELTS Band 7 with no less than 6.0 in any element.
This plays an important role in the admissions process and successful candidates will demonstrate a good understanding of teaching and learning within a secondary school setting. Candidates may wish to evidence their understanding by drawing on related examples or experiences, such as time spent in schools or other learning settings.
You will be expected to attend an interview as part of the application process. Full details of your interview will be provided by email once your initial application has been approved.
Months of entry
Our one-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) prepares you to teach the secondary school social science curriculum for the 14-19 age range.
You’ll explore ways to teach areas of the social sciences and develop your subject knowledge. You will also consider how social sciences link with related subject areas.
During the year, you’ll attend a series of lectures, with topics such as assessing exam papers and what school and college leaders look for in an ideal candidate.
When you’re at Manchester Met, you’ll spend time developing an inclusive social science curriculum incorporating equality, diversity and inclusion in the social science classroom. You and your peers will discuss and reflect upon the most effective social science teaching strategies to use for the best impact on learning.
You’ll also benefits from guest speakers including exam board advisors and social science teachers from local schools and colleges.
This course is available via University-led and School Direct routes.
Information for international students
Overseas candidates should have Cambridge Proficiency in English, IELTS Band 7, or Pitmans Advanced.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)161 247 6969