Learn more at the entry requirements page.
Months of entry
The MLA places emphasis on an understanding of landscape as a dynamic and adaptive phenomenon. Projects promote a focus on the interfaces between the landscape as a human, cultural construct and as a reflection of underlying natural and environmental process. Design ateliers explore themes of global relevance through the study of a specific landscape from a regional scale, progressively down to the detailed scale of material and technological resolution. There is a focus throughout on applying contemporary theoretical ideas and technologies to address the challenges of the landscapes explored.
The course has very strong links to practice. Students are exposed to a range of practitioners and their work throughout the course and gain individual experience through a combination of a direct professional engagement and a theoretical series of lectures and seminars.
- A two-year, 300 credit programme, accredited by the Landscape Institute and leading to an internationally recognised qualification in a fast growing profession
- The full two year programme provides a conversion course for graduates of related subject areas
- Graduates of accredited UK undergraduate landscape courses, or international equivalents, may gain direct entry to Part 2 of the course for their final year of study
- Part 1 provides a broad foundation in the discipline, and supports the development of core design and communication skills
- Part 2 promotes the exploration of individual design practice through experimental studio work as well as individual research
- An integrated work placement and opportunities for inter-disciplinary collaborations
- Teaching is delivered by experienced group of core staff, complemented by a wide range of practitioners and academics
- A study tour and site visits give students direct experience of a range of landscape projects both implemented and on site
- The MLA degree is awarded by Manchester Metropolitan University
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries Team
- +44 (0)161 247 6969