Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
You will normally have an undergraduate honours degree or a degree-equivalent postgraduate diploma or a professional qualification. Alternatively, you may be admitted if you can demonstrate appropriate knowledge and skills at honours degree standard.
Months of entry
MA Design Innovation considers how design acts as a catalyst for innovation leading to new products, services and user experiences. It focusses on design thinking approaches, to address contemporary societal and business challenges to develop a rich understanding of where design can add value. It will provide you with the skills to strategically apply design to solve complex problems in the global market.
The application of design thinking is explored with the latest research and practice in design innovation, design management and design strategy, that supports you to develop a holistic view of design and creatively apply the theory in your specialist area. Design research, empathy and user-centred development are at the core of the programme that reveals unmet user needs and, in turn, generate insights that lead to desirable products and services in a commercial and societal context.
The course provides a balance of theory and practices through a series of lectures, seminars, workshops, cross-disciplinary collaborations, research visits and live-projects to provide you with comprehensive knowledge of design innovation while giving practical skills to excel professionally.
- This programme will provide a research-informed and cutting-edge curriculum that maximises connections with the creative industries in the region and beyond, providing opportunities for engagement with the ‘real world’, through live projects and engagement with practitioners.
- Dedicated spaces for the postgraduate community have been developed to enable the postgraduate community to flourish. These spaces, for thinking and practice, are located at the heart of Manchester School of Art, allowing easy access to an extensive range of workshops where the combination of traditional and state of the art equipment opens up a world of exciting possibilities.
- You will be taught by research active staff who are part of the Manchester School of Art Research Centre and experts in their field.
- The University library has outstanding Art and Design holdings, including a special collection of artist's books and ephemera.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries Team
- +44 (0) 161 247 6969