Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A minimum of 2:2 in a UK Honours degree that contains laboratory or practical components is normally required. Examples of relevant degree subjects include: Engineering, Product Design and Technology, Computing and Digital Technology, Graphic Design, Fashion Design and Technology and Interior Design. Equivalent EU/international qualifications are also accepted. Applicants who don’t meet these criteria will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Other professional qualifications or degree disciplines will be considered on merit and/or with relevant professional experience. We may interview you as part of your application.
Overseas applicants will require IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 with no less than 5.5 in any category, or an equivalent accepted English qualification. Accepted English qualifications can be viewed here.
Months of entry
Embrace advances in technology and help to shape the future with this unique masters degree. 3D design and digital manufacturing technology is advancing at an incredible rate. We are living in an age where it is possible to 3D print everything from cars to clothing and even entire houses, with scientists currently exploring the possibility of 3D printing human organs for transplant.
Gaining this qualification is your chance to be at the forefront of a huge growth area, with major international companies such as Boeing, Adidas and the NHS heavily investing in 3D print technology. This innovative new masters programme offers hands-on training in the fascinating field of of digital manufactoring, and aims to educate and develop industry-ready professionals.
A wide range of units will develop your skills in computer-aided design, modelling and industrial sustainability. As well as 3D printing, course content has been designed to train students on all aspects of Industry 4.0, and explores The Internet of Things, generative design and even augumented and virtual reality.
This programme is positioned at the cutting-edge of technology and examines how UK manufactoring could be transformed through the adoption of industrial digital technologies. As such, as part of this programme, you will visit complex technical organisations to witness the impact being made.
Features and benefits of the course
- From artists to entrepreneurs, engineers to healthcare scientists – this course is aimed at anyone with an inquisitive mind and a desire to learn the skills required to succeed in this dynamic industry.
- Study and work in the state-of-the-art PrintCity facility, which is equipped with the very latest 3D printers from FormLabs, Ultimaker, MarkForged, Airwolf, 3D Systems, StrataSys. You will also create metal castings from 3D printed plastic patterns and post-process them using dedicated procedures such as a laser-welding and bead-blasting.
- Fail-fast, fail often. We positively encourage our students to try new designs, test them and learn by failing. By evaluating the failures, we learn how to make things better.
- The programme has a strong working relationship with Autodesk UK and provides a route for students to become an ‘Autodesk Certified User’. This is a recognised qualification in addition to the programme award which demonstrates proficiency in computer-aided-design software and will be attractive to future employers.
- The programme structure and student lifecycle are designed to slowly build a variety of skills and portfolio of work that will provide an exit velocity to launch our graduates into the better-paid positions within Industry 4.0.
- CAD Modelling and Product Design
- Industrial Digital Technologies
- Generative Design and the Wider Digital Realm
- Management of Projects Fundamentals
- Management of Projects Professional Practice
- Research Method and Skills
- Research Project in Industrial Digitalisation
Information for international students
For more information to support your studies in the UK, including course details, how to apply, and living in the UK visit www.mmu.ac.uk/international
Fees and funding
Please check the latest Postgraduate prospectus for information on the tuition fees for each course. For further information on potential sources of funding for postgraduate students, visit http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/fees/
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)161 247 6969