- You will need an undergraduate degree equivalent to a UK undergraduate honours degree (2.2 or above) in one of the following fields: economics, business, management, finance or another social science-related subject (containing quantitative methods at level 1 as a minimum), or a quantitatively-based subject such as science, engineering or maths.
- All applicants will be required to demonstrate a commitment to the subject they wish to study and should demonstrate how their chosen programme of study will benefit them in their future career.
- One academic reference is required.
Applicants with non-standard entry requirements and/or relevant experience will be considered on an individual basis
Months of entry
Our MSc Economics, Banking and Finance degree is designed to combine the analytical rigour of an Economics course with an in-depth coverage of major areas of Banking and Finance. You will systematically analyse and understand decision making in the context of economies and financial systems in a globalised world.
Economics studies the behaviour of individuals, businesses, and governments in the face of various constraints. You will learn to critically evaluate the behaviour of key players in economies and financial systems and to assess the consequences for individuals, society or the sustainability of economic and financial development. The course is distinctive in being applied in nature with a strong policy focus, particularly emphasising aspects of financial development, stability and crises as well as sustainability.
As an Economics student, you’ll have access to our unique Business Lab facility. With 12 double-screen workstations, the room gives you a simulated experience of working in the fast-moving world of shares and trading. You can access sophisticated analysis tools and Bloomberg Terminal data on worldwide financial markets.
Why choose this degree?
- You’ll be encouraged to think like an economist, through the application of economic ideas and methods drawn from a range of alternative perspectives.
- You'll complete a large scale Applied Research project. This will give you the opportunity to use your skills in a real-life setting, tailored to your individual needs and aspirations. You can choose between pursuing academic research or undertaking a consultancy-style project.
- Students on these routes typically come from over 25 different countries, which means you will have a truly international learning experience.
- You’ll complete a comprehensive development programme, which includes a short residential team-building course usually held in the Peak District.
- NTU’s teaching and learning is gold-rated by the government’s Teaching Excellence Framework – that means you can count on outstanding teaching and learning, an education that’s truly focused on the workplace, and fantastic support in and outside of the classroom.
This course will now be starting in January 2021.
Information for international students
We accept qualifications from schools, colleges and universities all over the world for entry onto our postgraduate degrees. If you’re not sure how your international qualification matches our course requirements please visit our website to find out more.
Pre-Masters and foundation degrees
If you need to do a foundation or pre-Masters course to meet our course requirements please contact Nottingham Trent International College (NTIC). If you’re already studying in the UK at a school or college and would like to know if we can accept your qualification please visit our foundation and pre-Masters courses page of our website.
English language entry requirements
If English is not your first language you need to show us that your language skills are strong enough for intensive academic study. We usually ask for an IELTS test and we accept some alternative English language tests.
- For 1-year Masters you'll need a 6.5 grade overall with minimum of 5.5 in each component.
- For 2-year Masters you'll need a 6.5 grade overall with a minimum of 6.0 in speaking and listening, and 5.5 in reading and writing.
For a list of our language requirements please visit our website.
If you need to do a pre-sessional English language course to meet the English requirements, please visit the pre-sessional English course page of our website.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Further details of qualification
Course length: 12 months full-time without internship; 15 months full-time with internship.
Course contact details
- Nottingham Business School
- +44 (0) 115 848 4200