Taught course

Professional Certificate in Architecture

Nottingham Trent University · School of Architecture, Design and the Built Environment

Entry requirements

You will need an undergraduate Architecture qualification with RIBA/ARB Part I status.

Months of entry


Course content

The Professional Certificate in Architecture (PCiA) provides post-Part I mentoring, advice, monitoring and support as graduates develop their Professional Experience and Development Record (PEDR). This is a mandatory component of the RIBA Examination in Professional Practice and Management in preparation for Part III studies.

What the Professional Certificate in Architecture can offer you

PEDR endorsement
In order to qualify as an architect it is a requirement that you complete a Professional Education and Development Record (PEDR). This should show the breadth of work you have undertaken in practice or industry. The PEDR must be signed quarterly by a Practice Mentor and a Professional Studies Advisor. The course provides a framework for endorsement of your PEDR and a Professional Studies Adviser to guide and advise you throughout the year.

Recall days
Three times a year you will be invited to attend a one-day symposium where you will be encouraged to discuss and compare your experiences with colleagues. Keynote lectures on these days will be fully relevant to your work and development.

Access to NTU facilities
As an enrolled student you will have access to excellent university facilities including: NOW, the virtual learning environment; the Boots Library; IT Services and; the Careers Service, a vital resource for notification of employment opportunities and CV advice.

Your assessment is based upon a review of the professional diary which you are required to maintain, recording reflections upon the experience you have gained over the 15-month period.

Please note: This course does not represent a placement programme. You are required to find employment opportunities. You will, however, have access to NTU facilities as described above. The course should be understood simply as a graduate monitoring service offered by NTU in relation to professional practice.

The start date is flexible.

Information for international students

If English isn't your first language, you need to show us that your language skills are strong enough for intensive academic study. You'll find our language requirements and list of accepted English language tests here. Your British Council office can tell you where you can take an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test locally.

Please also take a look at our International students page and our application guide for international students which are full of advice and information about to the University.

Qualification and course duration


full time
15 months

Course contact details

Architecture Postgraduate Office
+44 (0)115 9418 418