Applicants should have a good undergraduate degree at Honours level, or equivalent.
You will also need to:
- have qualified teacher status (QTS) or Early Years Teacher Status (EYTS) for those working in the Early Years sector, or Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status for those working in Further Education);
- be practising teachers working in the area of special educational needs provision in schools;
- study EDC004-6 in advance of EDC047-6;
- have regular (i.e. several times a week) access to a computer.
Months of entry
This is an online version of the National Award for Special Educational Needs Co-ordination (NASENCO), a legally required qualification for all new Special Educational Needs Co-ordinators (SENCOs) that must be completed within three years of appointment.
This course will support you to improve your knowledge of current legislation, theory and practice in Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) provision in schools/colleges and your skills in meeting those needs.
This course will assist you to fulfil your leadership role as outlined in the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice for 0 to 25 years (DfE, 2015):
- Overseeing the operation of the institution’s SEN policy
- Coordinating provision for SEND
- Liaising with the relevant designated teacher where a looked after pupil has SEN
- Advising on a graduated approach to providing SEN Support and effective deployment of the institution’s delegated budget and other resources
- Liaising with families of children with SEN, other schools and relevant external professionals/ agencies
- Liaising with potential next providers of education and consulting young people and families to ensure a smooth transition is planned
- Working with the head teacher and school governors to ensure that the school conforms to the Equality Act (2010)
- Ensuring that the institution keeps records of young people with SEN up to date.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0300 3300 073