2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification (for example, GPA 3.0 or above) in education or a related field, plus a minimum of three years professional experience following full GTCS registration. You will also need to be endorsed by your employer (please provide a letter of support), and have access to a suitable workplace environment in order to be able to undertake the practice-based components of the programme. A brief synopsis of your leadership experience is also required.
Months of entry
This programme for practising teachers covers the major elements of middle leadership and management in schools and is designed to provide you with a critical understanding of the principles underpinning middle leadership and management.
- If you are a Principal Teacher (or head of department/faculty): or are looking to progress into this role; and want to develop your skills as middle leaders in school, this programme is designed for you.
- It uses practice-focused learning to develop your capability to lead teaching and learning within your school (Department or Faculty); particularly to achieve the ambitions of Curriculum for Excellence.
- Our academic staff play a leading role in the area of professional and leadership development in Scotland. They have been involved in a range of research projects on headteacher recruitment, teacher leadership, coaching and leadership development, teachers’ work and collaborative professional enquiries.
- There is a focus on collaborative learning, drawing on your own experiences and those of your academic colleagues.
Each course combines a taught element, a distance learning element and an assignment drawing from your work in school. You will also participate in online activities to support the development of practice-focused tasks and assignments.
- Developing as a middle leader
- Leading change for improvement.
This PgCert forms part of the MEd Professional Learning and Enquiry degree programme.
As a graduate you would have all the necessary attributes to progress into, or enhance your capabilities in leadership role within schools.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Amy Mcknight