Herts require at least 2:2 (or equivalent) degree in humanities or a business subject. Graduates with an honours degree in any discipline who have otherwise demonstrated potential to succeed at postgraduate level journalism and media communications will also be considered. You'll also need to provide a work or academic reference. International students should have an English language assessment of IELTS 7, or equivalent as determined by the School of Social Science, Humanities and Education.
Students from non-majority English speaking countries require proof of English language proficiency, equivalent to an overall IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.5 in Writing and 6.0 in all other bands.
If you do not have the required IELTS or equivalent for direct entry on to your degree programme, our Pre-sessional English may help you to achieve this level.
Months of entry
MA Journalism and Media Communications with Placement Year is a two-year programme which includes a 36-week, full-time work placement. The course content is similar to the one-year MA, but you’ll take a long placement of 30 weeks or more and write your dissertation in the second year.
Throughout the course, you’ll benefit from:
- Our strong links within the media industry
- Connections with our membership of the Public Relations and Communications Association and educational membership of the British Society for Magazine Editors.
- Feeling inspired by our guest speakers. Previous talks include the editor of Marie Claire, an investigative journalist from the BBC and head of a media agency.
- Invitation to our series of ‘afternoon tea’ sessions with industry speakers twice a semester.
- Support into valuable work experience.
- Learning from previous students who have gained placements with the BBC, Sunday Times and a great range of PR agencies.
Information for international students
More information about English language qualifications are available on our International pages.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Genevieve Bosah
- 01707 284 000