Entry requirements for this course are normally:
- A BSc or BEng Honours degree (2:2 or above) in Computing or Engineering or scientific related subject or an equivalent professional qualification
- Applicants are expected to be familiar with and have some aptitude for basic Mathematics and basic Statistical concepts and methods
- Other qualifications and/or experience that demonstrate appropriate knowledge and skills at an Honours degree level - the qualification and experience should be in the area of Computer Science or Mathematics/Statistics
If your first language is not English, you will need to meet the minimum requirements of an English Language qualification. The minimum for IELTS is 6.5 overall with 6.0 in Writing and no element lower than 5.5, or equivalent will be considered acceptable. Read more about the University’s entry requirements for students outside of the UK on our Where are you from information pages.
Months of entry
January, April, September
Our Master's course is designed to meet the demand for a new kind of IT specialist with the skills and knowledge in data science.
The total demand in ‘big data’ users is set to rise to around 644,000 across all industries.More connectivity means more data and UK companies are leading the way in collecting, processing and understanding it. It’s estimated that 31,000 people work in specialist big data roles in the UK and the talent pipeline, together with demand, should see that increase by 243% over the next 5 years.*
In order to address these demands, given the large amount of data collected by all kinds of organisations, graduates of the course aims to equip graduates with an understanding of:
- data mining techniques
- big data and associated file systems
- data visualisation
and will ultimately be able to combine this knowledge to provide solutions to novel problems associated with the organisation and the analysis of data.
The course seeks to develop the ability to critically evaluate existing and emerging Data Science technology, apply knowledge, understanding and analytical and design skills in support of analytical and big data problems.
*invest.great.gov.uk, February 2019
Fees and funding
Please check our website for fee information
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time36 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1484 473116