You should have an Honours degree at 2:2 or above, or a professional equivalent.
If your first language is not English, you will need to meet the minimum requirements of an English Language qualification. The minimum for IELTS is 6.0 overall with no element lower than 5.5, or equivalent. Read more about the University’s entry requirements for students outside of the UK on our Where are you from information pages.
All entrants must be teaching, supporting and assessing with higher education (National Qualifications Framework and the Qualifications and Credit Framework level 4 or above) and have an average of at least six hours teaching (this could include team teaching) per week.
Applicants who already have Higher Education Academy (HEA) accreditation can enter the PgCert Higher Education award by taking the 20-credit module, the Inspire Conference. This module and route are only available to those who have HEA Fellowship.
To apply, if you are taking this 60 credit version, please choose PgCHE (non HEA route). If you are taking the Inspire Conference, then choose PgCHE (Inspire Conference) when you choose your course in the online application form.
Months of entry
Whether you’re a newly qualified or experienced member of staff teaching on higher education programmes, this course allows you to work towards being awarded your all-important Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (HEA)Why Higher Education PgCert?
- HEA Fellowship brings a range of benefits to develop and progress your career. It provides a valuable measure of success and is increasingly sought by employers across the higher education sector as a condition of appointment and promotion. Advance HE (formerly the Higher Education Academy) works with higher education providers and organisations to improve the professional experience of HE teachers through fellowships, accreditation, awards and professional development.
- The Higher Education PgCert provides a flexible development programme in teaching and learning for staff already teaching higher education courses. The course aims to enable you to become a competent and skilled practitioner in all aspects of teaching, learning and assessment in higher education.
- You’ll be encouraged to embrace professional values and attitudes to teaching, learning and assessment and the course provides a framework which enables you to do this. Through this process you’ll be encouraged to reflect upon your own professional experiences and set up your own targets for professional development. This enables you to evidence engagement with the UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF) and gain Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
- You’ll be taught by an outstanding team of teachers and have access to our extensive professional and academic network which feeds directly into course design and delivery and to excellent facilities and specialist equipment.
N.B. If you are involved in teaching health care professionals either in an academic or practice education setting then you should apply for the (Postgraduate Certificate in Health Professional Education.)[https://courses.hud.ac.uk/2021-22/part-time/postgraduate/health-professional-education-pgcert]
Fees and funding
Please check our website for fee information
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1484 478261