A good 2.1 undergraduate Honours degree in Mathematics, Statistics or a closely related subject area.
Months of entry
The MSc in Mathematics is a one-year taught programme run by the School of Mathematics and Statistics. This programme is particularly suited for those seeking a career in academic mathematical research or a mathematics-related career in the private sector.
- A wide range of advanced mathematical module choices are offered.
- Students have the possibility of enrolling into an independent study module.
- A Professional Skills for Mathematical Scientists module is also offered.
- Regular colloquia are held given by experts from within and out with the School.
- The dissertations are a great opportunity to experience mathematical research.
The programme consists of two semesters of taught courses followed by a dissertation (15,000 words) over the summer months. Most modules for the MSc in Mathematics are traditional semester-long lecture courses with end of semester exams, but some modules have a large element of continuous assessment. Class sizes range from 10 to 60 students, depending on the module.
The School of Mathematics and Statistics is well equipped with computing facilities (including a large parallel computing cluster) and an on-site library.
For an MSc in Mathematics, students take at least 90 credits at 5000-level Mathematics and Statistics modules. The remaining 30 credits can be taken from the School's 3000-level and 4000-level modules. At least 90 credits of the total of 120 credits of the taught part should be Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics modules.
The modules in this programme have varying methods of delivery and assessment. For more details of each module, including weekly contact hours, teaching methods and assessment, please see our website; some elements may be subject to change for 2020 entry.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Secretary
- +44 (0)1334 46 2344