- a minimum 2:2 in civil, structural or another type of engineering
- considerable relevant work experience
- IELTS English language requirement: 6.5 (minimum 5.5 in each component)
- RPL is accepted on this programme
Months of entry
LJMU's Civil Engineering MSc provides a route to Chartered Engineer status. You will learn the skills required to excel in and lead a civil engineering team.
- This Programme is also available as a 240 credit routeway including a Group Project and Dissertation
- Study on a course informed by internationally recognised research from our Built Environment and Sustainable Technologies (BEST) Research Institute
- Enjoy excellent career opportunities in design and site-based roles
- Meet the requirements for Chartered Engineer status
Civil Engineering is a popular branch of engineering relating to the design and construction of large structures, such as bridges, roads, tunnels, tall buildings and flood defences.
The overall aim of this programme is to produce Chartered Engineers who play a significant role in society as professional civil engineers. LJMU supports its students in developing the necessary skills to take on future leadership roles.
The programme builds on foundational engineering knowledge and skills with a stimulating and challenging postgraduate programme of study that will advance your understanding and analytical skills. You will develop a critical awareness of current issues in the field, as developed by ongoing research from LJMU's Built Environment and Sustainable Technologies (BEST) Research Institute.
You will also evaluate the latest research and design methodologies, increase your understanding of ethical issues related to civil engineering, and your responsibilities with regards to sustainable construction.
In addition, you will develop a greater understanding of management principles and management strategies and be able to critically evaluate design, construction and operation within the context of both regulation and current developments.
Students who choose the two year MSc route will undertake a Group Design Project & Dissertation.
The Group Design Project aims to apply civil engineering skills, practical experience, technology and scientific knowledge to a real-world design problem. Detailed ideas will be explored and developed through design, experimentation and/or computer modelling.
Why should I choose the 2 year route?
The Group Design Project will encompass the wider aspects of social, economic, political, legislative, environmental, cultural, ethical and sustainability issues required in the modern environment.
- This route will equip you with the transferrable project management skills needed to excel in your chosen career.
- You will work in groups and meet regularly with an academic supervisor and any internal or external stakeholders in order to develop an effective team-working ethic.
- You will present your work through regular meetings with your supervisor as well as submitting progress reports and oral presentations. In this way you will have the chance to hone your communicative skills and leave University ready for the workplace.
Information for international students
Please note: All international qualifications are subject to a qualification equivalency check via NARIC.
Further information is also available from our international web pages.
Fees and funding
Please see the course page for more information.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0151 231 5090