A 2:2 honours degree, or equivalent. At least 50% of your degree should be in the subject that you intend to teach. We may accept closely related degree subjects.
GCSEs or O Levels (grades A–C/ 4-9) in English language and mathematics, or equivalent.Work experience
You need to have spent at least a few recent working days in a UK secondary classroom before applying. This will inform your application and any later performance in the selection process.Modern language applicants
If you are applying for a PGCE in a modern language should have spent a year abroad as part of your degree.
If you are applying for Spanish you should have at least some elementary French.
Foreign nationals applying for a modern languages PGCE should:
- have spent six months living in the UK
- had employment as a foreign language assistant in a state school in England
Individual course entry requirements are available on the UCAS Teacher Training website.
Please contact us for advice if you:
- don't meet our entry requirements
- need further information on related degree subjects.
Months of entry
Information for international students
Fees and funding
See our course fees and funding web page.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Julie Charlton, PGCE Admissions Assistant, School of Education, Communication and Language Sciences
- +44 (0) 191 208 6581