A 2:2 honours degree, or equivalent. At least 50% of your degree should be in the subject that you intend to teach. We may accept closely related degree subjects.
GCSEs or O Levels (grades A–C/ 4-9) in English language and mathematics, or equivalent.
You need to have spent at least a few recent working days in a UK secondary classroom before applying. This will inform your application and any later performance in the selection process.
Modern language applicants:
If you are applying for a PGCE in a modern language should have spent a year abroad as part of your degree.
If you are applying for Spanish you should have at least some elementary French.
Foreign nationals applying for a modern languages PGCE should:
- have spent six months living in the UK
- had employment as a foreign language assistant in a state school in England.
Months of entry
We offer the following Secondary PGCE courses:
- French with German
- French with Spanish
- German with French
- Spanish with French
- Secondary Science with Biology Specialism
- Secondary Science with Chemistry Specialism
- Secondary Science with Physics Specialism
The course has a strong focus on learning from experience, through reflection and enquiry. This process of reflective enquiry underpins the development of teaching skills. It also forms the basis for the written work submitted as part of your PGCE.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
See our course fees and funding web page.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Julie Charlton, PGCE Admissions Assistant, School of Education, Communication and Language Sciences
- +44 (0) 191 208 6581