You will need:
- A UK honours degree or equivalent
- GCSE English, Mathematics and Science at minimum grade 4 / C or equivalent.
- Two years’work experience in a related role; current employment in a related field.
- Relevant and recent experience of teaching in at least two schools / colleges prior to being assessed against the Teachers' Standards and the ability to evidence this;
- Teaching experience across two or more consecutive age ranges;
- The ability to read effectively and good verbal and written communication skills in Standard English;
- You must provide satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service and Prohibition Order checks as part of the assessment process.
- If you your setting is based further than 50 miles from Nottingham please contact us to discuss if we can support you before making an application.
If your application is successful, the initial interview and observation will take place in the school/college where you are currently employed.
You will be required to:
- present a portfolio of evidence to meet the Teachers' Standards for QTS; and
- provide original copies of relevant qualifications.
- You will complete a diagnostic assessment of your fundamental English and mathematics skills at interview. This will inform any development that you need to undertake leading up to and during your training. There is no longer a requirement to complete Department for Education Professional Skills Tests.
We can advise you of how to complete your portfolio before attending the interview.
Months of entry
Ideal for experienced graduates with substantial teaching experience, this short course is a route to gain Qualified Teaching Status for the Primary age range through an assessment of your current teaching.
You must be based in a UK school, teaching the English National Curriculum. Supported by your school or college, the course allows you to demonstrate that you already meet all the QTS standards.
A successful assessment leads to a recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)* and allows you to begin your Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) induction.
Separate Assessment Only courses are available for Early Years teachers and Secondary teaching.
*The title of this award is subject to change due to an ongoing government consultation.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time3 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- +44 (0) 115 848 4200