Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A 2.2 honours degree in a related subject.
A creative portfolio.
Applicants with non-standard entry qualifications and / or relevant work experience will be considered on an individual basis.
Months of entry
This practice-based course helps you to explore the creative and intellectual possibilities of photography through practice and research, supporting your development as an artist photographer. It takes a critical and discursive approach, with the expectation that you’ll reflect and evaluate your practice in relation to contemporary photographic discourse and the wider contexts of image culture.
You will be supported in the use of traditional and digital production methods through a range of practical and technical workshops, and be encouraged to experiment across the boundaries of production technologies. You’ll produce a project proposal known as a learning agreement through which you will establish your research objectives and practice ambition. You will develop a substantial body of work for public exhibition or publication that will enable your future independent and sustainable creative practice.
Our photography staff team offer a wide range of knowledge and expertise across a breadth of photographic practices and will support your learning and individual interests, through informative and responsive teaching.
- Develop a project tailored to your own personal interests and career aspirations
- Have the opportunity to engage with and discuss the critical, historical and contextual frameworks surrounding your practice
- Enjoy gallery visits to London and across the region
- Benefit from optional study visits to photo festivals in the UK and Europe, such as Paris Photo and Photo London
- Hear from visiting speakers – these have recently included Emma Bowkett, Francis Hodgson, Sarah Jones, Martin Parr, Joy Gregory, Simon Roberts, Simon Webb, and Sunil Gupta
- Take advantage of our excellent industry links, including companies such as Mamiya Leaf, Phase One, Genesis Imaging, Wex Photographic, and Red Photographic
- Benefit from our staffs’ international links and contacts across Europe
- Join the 75 years’ worth of NTU graduates who have achieved success, won awards, or otherwise distinguished themselves in the field of photography
- Opt for an additional advanced research module if you’re thinking of progressing to PhD or Professional Doctorate study.
- We are proud to be ranked 13th in the UK for Art and Design (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021).
Your space to create at NTU
We’re committed to helping you explore, expand and refine your craft, as you discover new creative horizons with some truly great tools, equipment and workspaces. Visit our facilities hub at www.ntu.ac.uk/artfacilities to find out more.
Information for international students
English language requirement - IELTS 6.5 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill) or the equivalent.
Fees and funding
Please visit our funding page.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time11 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0) 115 848 4200