Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
You will need a good honours degree (minimum 2.2) or equivalent in a relevant discipline, or relevant experience and a creative portfolio.
Months of entry
Explore animation production, concepts and context on this dynamic and contemporary postgraduate degree. As an MA Animation student, you’ll have the opportunity to choose from a wide range of topics to study, including:
- storyboard and pre-visualisation artistry
- character design
- environment and prop design
- 2D and 3D animation
- stop-motion and experimental animation
The main focus of the course will be on the exploration and refinement of your skills. Develop content specific to your research area, as well as attending contextual lectures in which you’ll investigate global animation history, theory and practice. This course will prepare you for a career in a commercial production studio, in games production or feature animation. Additionally, you may choose to work in visual effects production or as an independent filmmaker.
- Develop a project tailored to your own personal interests and career aspirations.
- Attend lectures held by industry professionals from leading animation studios.
- Visit animation festivals in the UK and Europe
- Take advantage of our extensive industry links
- Exhibit your work at New Designers in London
- Opt for an additional research module if you’re thinking of progressing to PhD or Professional Doctorate study
- Work with fellow students, practitioners and academic staff from different cultures and backgrounds
- We are proud to be ranked 13th in the UK for Art and Design (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021).
Your space to create at NTU
We’re committed to helping you explore, expand and refine your craft, as you discover new creative horizons with some truly great tools, equipment and workspaces. Visit our facilities hub at www.ntu.ac.uk/artfacilities to find out more.
Information for international students
English language requirement -
IELTS 6.5 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill) or the equivalent.
Fees and funding
Please visit our funding page.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time11 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)115 848 4200