You will need a good honours degree (minimum 2.2) or equivalent in a relevant discipline, or relevant experience, and a creative portfolio.
Months of entry
Our Masters in Illustration is designed to create accomplished visual thinkers whose practice is shaped by current dialogue and innovative thinking in this exciting and progressive discipline.
Through the course, you will be given the opportunity to explore areas of illustration such as children’s books, graphic novels, editorial illustration, illustration for branding and experimental illustration. Whichever route you decide to take with your Masters project, you will be encouraged to take creative risks by pushing your work in new and exciting directions.
MA Illustration is designed to support you in developing an entrepreneurial approach to your practice and we hope that – like many before you – you will use the MA as a springboard for your illustrative career. You will do this by creating a professional journal that you will use to actively build your professional persona. In this journal you will critically reflect on the current thought and practice of illustration as a discipline.
- Create a project tailored to your own personal illustrative interests and career aspirations
- Engage with industry by undertaking networking opportunities, short internships and studio visits
- Work in our professional MA studio space alongside other creatives
- Benefit from regular lectures from leading figures in the illustration and design industries.
- Attend workshops covering Visual Sequence in children's books, Graphic Novels and Storytelling, Visual Identity for Illustrators, Illustrative Ceramics, Watercolour for illustrators, Undigital digital, Cinema 4D and Adobe After Effects.
- Opt for an additional advanced research module if you’re thinking of progressing to PhD or Professional Doctorate study.
- We are proud to be ranked 13th in the UK for Art and Design (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021).
Your space to create at NTU
We’re committed to helping you explore, expand and refine your craft, as you discover new creative horizons with some truly great tools, equipment and workspaces. Visit our facilities hub at www.ntu.ac.uk/artfacilities to find out more.
Information for international students
English language requirement - IELTS 6.5 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill) or the equivalent.
Fees and funding
Please visit our funding page.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)115 848 2999