We normally look for a First or Upper Second class honours degree (2:1, with 60% average) from a UK university or the overseas equivalent.
- You need a degree in finance, economics or maths. You must have taken a significant number of finance and quantitative courses during your degree (accounting is not considered to be finance). You must be taking a major or specialisation in finance in your final year and need to achieve top-level results in final year finance subjects. You must also demonstrate a solid background in quantitative skills, econometrics or maths.
- Applicants studying degrees in business administration, business management or commerce, can be considered but must be able to demonstrate a very strong background in finance throughout their degree and a final year major or specialisation in finance (as outlined above). Due to competition for places, we give preference to applicants with a bachelor degree in finance or economics.
- We highly recommend GMAT or GRE for applications to all our accounting and finance related programmes. We anticipate a well-balanced score with a strong performance in the quantitative sections.
Months of entry
Investing in an MSc Finance adds up to a great career and you gain valuable quantitative skills that are in high demand by employers. A dissertation, focusing on empirical research, allows you to explore your chosen area of interest in detail, and you are supported throughout by our high-calibre staff.
Recent graduates have accepted positions in the City, with the `Big 4' global financial services firms, major world banks and financial institutions.
We have teamed up with Kaplan Schweser to facilitate student preparation for the CFA exams.
- MSc Accounting, MSc Accounting and Finance, MSc Finance and MSc Quantitative Finance course students who perform well in Semester one and show a strong interest in CFA will get free access to Kaplan's online training materials for CFA Part One.
- Gain student support from Kaplan with access to tuition material, online question banks and progress tests, and mock exam runs. Plus tutor support and 1-2-1 sessions.
- The CFA Program builds a strong foundation of advanced investment analysis and real-world portfolio management skills.
- Take the first step to earning the Chartered Financial Analyst ® (CFA) credential to prepare for the Level I exam
- The CFA is the most respected and recognised investment designation in the world.
Trading BootCamp Week
Together with Amplify Trading , a global financial trading and training firm, we offer a week long Trading BootCamp for MSc Accounting, MSc Accounting and Finance, MSc Finance and MSc Quantitative Finance course students.
- experience a live trading floor provided by two experienced traders with specialist software
- engage with contemporary financial markets and apply your classroom theory in practice
- watch live breaking news, economic data and geo-political events, and use your knowledge and skills in trading different asset classes
- a fantastic opportunity to prepare you for successful careers after graduation.
The Finance Zone
- gain access to one of the UK's most comprehensive collections of specialist financial and business databases that are used by top researchers around the world.
- Databases include Bloomberg, Datastream, Thomson ONE, Compustat, WRDS, Capital IQ and many more. Read more about the specialist financial and business databases >>
Information for international students
For the latest information on demonstrating your English proficiency for those whose first language is not English, please see our language requirements.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Further details of qualification
The programme provides training for specialist positions in finance (such as a Financial Analyst) or for research or an academic career via a PhD. The course conforms has ESRC recognition as a postgraduate training year in preparation for undertaking a PhD.
Course contact details
- Alliance Manchester Business School
- + 44 (0)161 306 1339