In order to be considered, applicants will have or should be expecting to achieve an Honours degree (2:1 or higher) or postgraduate diploma from a UK university (or overseas equivalent) in a highly quantitative subject.
Applicants must have achieved a mark equivalent to a 2:2 at undergraduate level in Mathematics or Mathematics related modules. If necessary we will assess the academic transcript for performance in Mathematics and Mathematics related modules. A minimum of GCE A-Level grade D (or overseas equivalent) in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics or Statistics may also be considered to meet the quantitative requirement.
Applicants who demonstrate being able to exceed the minimum entry requirements will be given preference.
Months of entry
Take control of your career in financial management. Our MSc Financial Management programme provides the knowledge and skills that will give you a significant edge in this competitive finance sector.
At the heart of every economy, finance offers a world of interesting, challenging and highly lucrative career paths. Our programme is designed to strengthen the knowledge and skills you need to work in financial management and provide you with a significant edge in the competitive global sector.
- Financial Management graduates are in high demand from a wide range of top employers for their specialist skills. Our ever-growing relationship with key employers in the sector will provide you with the opportunity to meet and network with leading global organisations.
- You will study a variety of innovative topics that will prepare you for a global career, including foreign exchange markets, international treasury management, ethics, governance and regulation in treasury. You will gain knowledge of real-world investment challenges with an emphasis on ethical and sustainable business practices.
- You can choose a pathway with MSc Financial Management to achieve two ACT professional qualifications. By choosing the specific optional modules and completing the requirements, you will receive the Certificate in Treasury (CertT) and the Certificate in Treasury Fundamentals (CertTF), as well as your degree.
You will also have the opportunity to take part in the award-winning Future Leaders Certificate programme. This extra-curricular programme will give you the chance to work on an exciting virtual live project set by a multinational company and enables you to better understand the impact that technology is having on the business world and the implications for your own career.
This programme has a pathway which will enable you to achieve two ACT (Association of Corporate Treasurers in the UK) professional qualifications. The pathway covers 80% of the syllabus for the ACT examinations for the professional qualifications. Students who take and pass the elective modules required for the professional qualifications (namely, International Treasury Management and Risk Analysis and Management) and satisfy the other requirements for the qualifications, will be eligible for the award of the Certificate in Treasury Fundamentals (CertTF) and the Certificate in Treasury (CertT), in addition to their MSc Financial Management degree.
Information for international students
- IELTS 6.5 with no less that 6.0 in any band
- TOEFL: 88 overall with no less than 21 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) including online: PTE Academic 67 with no less than 64 in all four skills
- Cambridge English (exams taken from 2015): Advanced – minimum overall score of 176, with no less than 169 in any component
If you are currently studying at a Chinese university, please view our specific entry requirements including our list of acceptable universities for further study at Birmingham.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions
- +44 (0)121 415 8273