Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
You will need to:
- hold a good Honours Degree (preferably 2.1 classification). For secondary Assessment Only, we would expect that at least 50% of the degree is in the subject being taught
- hold GCSE grade C or above in Mathematics and English Language or equivalent. For primary teaching, you will also need GCSE grade C or above in Science
- successfully complete the National College for Teaching and Leadership’s Skills Tests in literacy and numeracy before you start the course. We offer Skills Test preparation days to help you to gain the knowledge to successfully complete the tests
- be working as an unqualified teacher (paid or unpaid). The school needs to have a proven track record in Initial Teacher Training and must not be in Special Measures
- have been observed teaching by the sponsoring school and have your teaching graded as ‘Outstanding’ or ‘Good’
- be able to demonstrate that you have experience teaching in two or more schools/colleges, including the school you are currently working at. The experience should be relevant and recent (within the last 5 years) and across two consecutive age phases. The minimum teaching time requirement across the two or more schools is two years
- provide evidence of a DBS check
Months of entry
Do you have considerable experience working in education but still need to achieve Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)? We offer a flexible, convenient pathway to help you realise your ambitions and progress your teaching career.
Our Assessment Only Route to QTS could be ideal if you are:
- Working as an unqualified teacher – paid or unpaid – or if you have extensive recent experience of teaching in a school or college.
- A cover supervisor, Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) or supply teacher
- An experienced Further Education lecturer now working in a school and keen to gain QTS
- An overseas trained teacher who does not automatically qualify for QTS or who did not gain QTS within the four-year limit.
- The Assessment Only Route is open to colleagues in Independent Schools, Academies, Special Schools, PRUs
Don’t let the lack of QTS restrict your career prospects. If you’re an experienced teacher with a degree, this route is your chance to demonstrate that you already meet all the standards for QTS – without the need for further training.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time3 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1332 590500