A bachelor degree with a 2:2 (Hons) in a subject containing biology and chemistry content.
All key modules should also have strong grades (none below 2:2 UK equivalent). Please check your marks using international equivalent qualifications. We will ask for further detailed module information if these are not clear on your transcript.
Food-related industry and/or research experience is welcomed, but not essential, and can also be considered alongside a relevant science degree.
For more information, please contact the Admissions Team.
Months of entry
Providing nutritious food is a key target for the government — and has increasingly become of interest to consumers throughout society. Academic and food industry experts are tasked with consistently improving food standards and providing sustainable solutions that will suit every class of consumer in society. From advancing quality control to developing new food products in response to growing health and environmental sustainability demands, our Food Science and Nutrition MSc programme will put you at the forefront of finding these solutions.
This degree draws on ongoing world-leading research conducted in the School. As such, you'll explore and learn the latest innovations, issues and practices in Food Science and Nutrition. Throughout the course, you'll investigate the scientific principles underpinning of the field of Food Science and Nutrition, with unique perspectives on the wider implications of diet on human health and wellbeing.
Upon successful completion of your studies, you'll have an appreciation of key positions food composition and food processing, and relationship between food and health. As a Food Science and Nutrition MSc graduate, you'll be fully equipped with the forward-thinking, relevant and topical knowledge and skill set sought after by global companies in industry.
Why study at Leeds:
- This Masters degree is accredited by the Institution of Food Science and Technology.
- Our globally-renowned research here at Leeds feeds into your course and shapes your learning with the latest thinking in areas of food safety, functional biopolymers and novel food design.
- Advance your knowledge and skills in critical areas sought after in industry, including food processing, nutrition across the lifecycle and the impacts of food processing on nutritional quality.
- Conduct your own independent research project as part of your course and gain industry experience in in investigating an exciting real-world problem, mirroring the type of work you’ll be conducting in your professional career.
- Experience expert teaching delivered by a programme team made up of academics and researchers who specialise in a variety of food science and nutritional disciplines.
- Access specialist facilities, including computerised sensory testing and electron microscopy facilities, texture analysers, rheometers, tribometers, spectrophotometers, spinning disc reactor and HPLC and GC analytical equipment.
- Enhance your career prospects and join our successful alumni who have pursued careers in revered institutions worldwide including NHS, Innocent Drinks and the Food and Drugs Authority.
- Master the most up-to-date practices and techniques recognised in industry on a course that has been directly informed and advised by the Industrial Advisory Board.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- +44 (0)113 343 0347