A 2:1 honours degree, or equivalent, in Arabic, English or a relevant subject. You must have high-level command of both Arabic and English. Exceptionally, candidates with equivalent relevant professional experience will be considered. All candidates must pass an entry test in either Arabic-English or English-Arabic translation.
Months of entry
The course provides intensive tuition in English-Arabic and Arabic-English translation across a wide range of text types, together with a sophisticated understanding of concepts in translation theory and practical translation techniques. The large number of optional modules allows students to tailor the programme to their own needs.
• Methods and approaches in translation studies
• specialised Arabic-English translation and/or specialised English-Arabic translation
• either a long dissertation; a long annotated translation; or a short dissertation and short annotated translation
You can select further specialised translation modules, plus modules in translation studies, applied and theoretical linguistics, intercultural studies, and English for professional purposes, including:
• comparative Arabic/English stylistics
• computers and the translator
• corpus linguistics for translators
• English for translators
• English in international communication
• genres in translation
• rhetoric and public speaking
• writing for professional purposes
Information for international students
The University of Leeds welcomes international students. English language is required (eg. IELTS). Accommodation is guaranteed for all new international students paying fees at non-EU rate. For details please refer to relevant course website.
Fees and funding
There are a number of scholarships available to both UK/EU and international students. For further information please click here.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions Team
- +44 (0)113 343 3234