For entry requirements for this course, please visit our website: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught/courses/course/msc-compound-semiconductor-electronics
Months of entry
The MSc Compound Semiconductor Electronics has been designed to deliver thorough training and practical experience in compound semiconductor theory, fabrication and applications, and integration with silicon technology.
The MSc Compound Semiconductor Electronics has been designed to deliver thorough training and practical experience in compound semiconductor theory, fabrication, applications, and integration with silicon technology.
The programme is delivered by the School of Engineering in collaboration with the School of Physics and Astronomy and the Institute for Compound Semiconductors (ICS). The ICS is an exciting new development at the cutting edge of compound semiconductor technology. The Institute has been established as a founding member of the Compound Semiconductor Cluster, which also includes companies such as IQE plc, SPTS and Newport Wafer Fab, to capitalise on the existing expertise at Cardiff University and to move academic research to a point where it can be introduced reliably and quickly into the production environment. It is a unique facility in the UK, and aims to create a global hub for compound semiconductor technology research, development and innovation.
Our flexible curriculum contains a robust set of required modules and a number of cutting-edge elective modules, which include the latest results, innovations and techniques and are designed to incorporate the most effective teaching and learning techniques.
As part of the course you will undertake a 3 month summer project which will be based either in the School of Engineering, within the ICS, or in placement with one of our industrial partners. We have strong, long-established industrial links with companies such as IQE and are therefore in a unique position to be able to offer a portfolio of theoretical, practical, fabrication and applications-centred projects in both academic and industrial placement environments. No other Russell Group university can offer such opportunities in this field.
Upon graduation, you will have the training, skillsets and hands-on experience you need to succeed in the dynamic and highly competitive field of compound semiconductors.Distinctive features
- Cardiff University’s unique position at the forefront of compound semiconductor technology will provide you with the opportunity to develop experience and build contacts with a range of leading companies and organisations
- This programme will provide you with the skillsets necessary to take advantage of emerging employment opportunities within the growing national and international compound semiconductor sector.
- We offer a range of specialist modules that give you the opportunity to tailor the programme to the particular industry or sector of interest to you. You’ll have the opportunity to interact with students on other related programmes, gain exposure to new fields, and even develop new business opportunities through our Commercialising Innovation module.
- We encourage a “research group” atmosphere within which you’ll be given the opportunity to work together, across disciplines, to enhance each other’s learning and be a vital part of our thriving, international scientific community.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Enquiries
- +44 (0)29 2087 0084