For entry requirements for this course please visit our website
Months of entry
An MSc course with an emphasis on research which also aims to provide you with the necessary advanced level knowledge and skills that will allow you to succeed in the rapidly growing wireless and microwave communication industry.
An MSc course with an emphasis on research which also aims to provide you with the necessary advanced level knowledge and skills that will allow you to succeed in the rapidly growing wireless and microwave communication industry. It will provide you with an excellent platform for career development, whether that be within industry or academic research.
The course will provide you with the opportunity to:
- Develop your expertise in new and evolving areas of microwave engineering including mobile communications and medical applications of microwaves.
- Focus on areas such as advanced computer aided design (CAD), measurement and characterisation and communication systems engineering.
- Cover laboratory work and advanced engineering management alongside modules in radio frequency engineering, advanced fabrication and test, advanced communication systems and non-linear RF design and concepts.
- Gain expertise in the areas of micro and nano-technology and optoelectronics.
- Develop your research skills by completing a major project as part of an intensive Research Year either in Cardiff University or with another suitable university partner or research institute.
This course will provide you with:
- The opportunity to learn in a research-led teaching institution, taught by staff in one of the highest ranked university units in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
- The opportunity to work in modern facilities and commensurate with a top-class research university.
- The opportunity to learn in an environment graded as Silver in the first TEF assessment, meaning that the University "consistently exceeds rigorous national quality requirements for UK higher education".
- The participation of research-active staff in programme design and delivery.
- MSc teaching complemented by guest lectures given by industrial professionals.
- A 120-credit Research Year which enables the programme to meet the Bologna requirements for a Master’s programme length of 2 years.
- A research group atmosphere within which students will enhance each other’s learning
- The opportunity to be a vital part of our scientific research community.
Upon graduation, you will have the training, skillsets and hands-on experience you need to succeed in this dynamic and highly competitive field, and will have a distinct edge when applying for PhD studentships or employment in industry.
Fees and funding
If you’re a home-fee paying student, you can apply for a £3,000 Master’s Excellence Scholarship from Cardiff University to help cover the cost of this programme.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Recruitment Enquiries
- +44 (0)29 20187 4455