Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Study on this Masters programme in Embedded Systems and IC Design at Liverpool John Moores University.
You will need
- Yhonours degree in Electrical/Electronic/Communication Engineering or a related engineering discipline
- an honours degree in Mathematics or a physical science, together with experience in a relevant field
- a degree with industrial experience or relevant postgraduate experience
- graduate or corporate membership of a professional body such as The Institution of Engineering and Technology, The Institute of Measurement and Control or The Institute of Physics
- Qualifications or experience deemed to be equivalent to the above will also be accepted
- Mature students must provide evidence of adequate educational and/or industrial experience
- IELTS 6.0
- Non-standard applications may be subject to interview
Months of entry
Study at one the UK’s leading Engineering Departments
- Benefit from the internationally-acclaimed research of LJMU’s Electrical and Electronic Engineering Research Centre
- Postgraduates of this course highly sought after by major UK and international employers
- This programme is available as a standard full-time Masters one-year programme (180 credits) or as an extended full-time Masters 20 month programme (240 credits).
- On both versions in semesters one and two you will study full-time at LJMU completing the taught modules.
- If you are on the one-year programme, you will complete your Dissertation over the summer.
- If you are on the 20 month programme, you will undertake the Group Design Project and your Dissertation in the second year.
Industrial organisations across all sectors have identified a gap in the market and the need for Engineers with good leadership and interpersonal skills in addition to their technical abilities.
This MSc degree programme provides excellent progression from electronic engineering undergraduate courses. You can also complete the course as part of your career development and to specialise in the Embedded Systems, Nano Electronics and IC Design fields.
Students who choose the 20 month MSc route will undertake a Group Design Project & Dissertation.
The Group Design Project aims to apply engineering, technology and scientific knowledge to a real-world design problem. Detailed ideas will be explored and developed through design, experimentation, computer modelling and/or manufacture.
Why should I choose the 20 month route?
The Group Design Project will encompass the wider aspects of social, economic, political, legislative, environmental, cultural, ethical and sustainability issues required in the modern environment.
- This route is designed for international students who wish to apply their knowledge to professional practice in the UK
- Industrial organisations across all sectors have identified a gap in the market for Engineers with good leadership and interpersonal skills in addition to their technical abilities
- This route will equip you with the transferrable project management skills needed to excel in your chosen career.
- You will work in groups and meet regularly with an academic supervisor and any internal or external stakeholders in order to develop an effective team-working ethic.
- As an alternative to the group project on the two-year programme an industrial placement is a possibility in year two.
- You will need to apply directly to companies offering placements – the offer of a placement will be subject to a successful interview with the employer. Although the University will provide support and guidance to find an appropriate placement they are not guaranteed.
- Please note that you cannot apply for the sandwich route before coming to LJMU – further information about applying to placement opportunities will be given during semester two of year one.
- You will present your work through regular meetings with your supervisor as well as submitting progress reports and oral presentations. In this way you will have the chance to hone your communicative skills and leave University ready for the workplace.
Information for international students
Please note: All international qualifications are subject to a qualification equivalency check via NARIC.
Contact LJMU's International Admissions Team for guidance on visa information. Further information is also available from our international web pages.
Fees and funding
Please see the course page for more information.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44(0)151 231 5090