An undergraduate degree and relevant professional experience in an educational context.
We don't need your employer's permission for entry to the course, but you should discuss the focus of your assignments (where necessary) with appropriate colleagues/line managers.
You will need to have current access to educational workplaces (eg through employment or educational consultancy), but you do not need to be in a leadership role.
Months of entry
You'll develop both 'know how' and 'know why' in relation to educational leadership.
On completing the course you'll have a good, critical understanding of:
- current thinking and key issues of leadership and strategic management of educational institutions
- relevant leadership theories and their significance for educational leadership.
The course will help you to use approaches of practitioner enquiry as a means for:
- professional practice
- educational effectiveness
- improvement of educational organisations.
At the beginning of the course, we'll ask you to complete an assessed written task. This is to tailor the teaching and reading list to your development needs. This personalised approach has been identified by previous students and external examiners as a particular strength of the course.
Information for international students
English Language requirements: Direct Entry : IELTS 6.5 overall (with a minimum of 5.5 in all sub-skills). If you have lower English Language scores, you may be accepted onto a Pre-sessional English Language course.
Fees and funding
See our course fees and funding web page.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time9 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- School of Education, Communication and Language Sciences
- +44 (0) 191 208 6799