An undergraduate degree in any discipline. UK: Upper Second Class Honours. China: 1st tier universities: 75% or above; 2nd tier universities: 80% or above. North America: 3.0 cumulative GPA (out of 4) or; 3.2 cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme. Other regions: Equivalent academic qualifications.
Months of entry
The MRes in Management programme develops a systematic understanding and critical appreciation of alternative approaches, methodologies and paradigms of research in the field of business and management, to equip students with an understanding of what constitutes quality research, and to acquaint them with the research processes available in business and management research from the point of inception to project completion. The programme is offered at IBSS at XJTLU by IBSS faculty, and results in a University of Liverpool degree.
The overall goal of the programme is to develop fully-trained and competent management researchers who are able to understand and use research techniques appropriate to their subject area and be conversant with approaches used by other management researchers. There is substantial demand for quality academics in China, and this programme is designed to meet that need. The programme is also consistent with XJTLU’s goals of becoming a top research university both in China and globally.
Industry opportunities may manifest themselves in the form of research posts in private and public sector organizations. The programme has a substantial theoretical and methodological core, which provides an essential basis for students moving on to Doctoral level study.
This programme is both a stand-alone Master’s programme with a University of Liverpool degree, as well as a pre-requisite to those who wish to earn a PhD degree in management, economics or financial economics, registered as off-site University of Liverpool postgraduate research students, while studying at XJTLU in China. Detailed information about the doctoral programme at IBSS is available at: http://academic.xjtlu.edu.cn/ibss/phd
Some of the learning outcomes are that students who successfully complete the programme will be able to:
- Review systematically, and evaluate critically, research paradigms and demonstrate how they inform research projects;
- Analyze business and management processes and their environment using a multitude of conceptual approaches;
- Understand how the examination of different aspects in business and management research can be integrated;
- Demonstrate comprehensive understanding and critical reflection of literature in the field of study;
- Demonstrate self-direction and originality in the design of quality research projects in a range of managerial and organizational settings;
- Understand and systematically apply research skills in quantitative, qualitative and mixed-method data collection and analysis relative to business and management research;
- Appreciate how the organizational context affects the design, conduct, analysis, and interpretation in business and management;
- Advance their knowledge and understanding through the completion and comprehensive write up of independently conducted research projects.
Students in this programme are required to take the following core modules, followed by a research project (dissertation).
- Business and Management as a Social Science
- Quantitative Methods
- Qualitative Methods
- Advanced Methods
The programme also includes an additional 600 hours of Additional Learning Activity which will provide the students with research and professionally-relevant skills and any additional English training as required.
Students can take all credit-bearing modules in the first 12 months and move onto the PhD track at that stage (whilst committing to the completion of the additional learning aspects of the Master’s programme) within the following 6 months, to receive the full Master’s qualification.
Fees and funding
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20% of the tuition fee.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- PG Enquiries