An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in finance, accounting, economics, management, science or engineering.
MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Upper second class (2:1) honours
3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Equivalent academic qualifications
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
In exceptional circumstances, individual cases will be considered on their own merits. You may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate your English proficiency.
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5-1.0 of an IELTS band, or a similar number for other English language exams, you can be admitted to the programme after successful completion of our four- or six-week intensive English presessional course.
You can also apply to take the XJTLU English language test in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or equivalent. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the four- or six-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students may be required to complete English language courses on a pass/fail basis as part of the additional learning activity requirement during their studies at XJTLU.
Months of entry
The MRes Management programme helps you develop a systematic understanding and critical appreciation of alternative approaches, methodologies and paradigms of research in the field of business and management. It will equip you with an understanding of what constitutes quality research, and acquaint you with the research processes involved from the point of inception to project completion. You will be registered as an off-site University of Liverpool postgraduate research student, while studying at XJTLU in China.
The overall goal of the programme is to develop fully trained and competent management researchers who are able to understand and use research techniques appropriate to their subject area.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
The MRes Management programme will equip you to:
- review systematically, and evaluate critically, research paradigms, and demonstrate how they inform research projects
- analyse business and management processes and their environment using a multitude of conceptual approaches
- understand how the examination of different aspects in business and management research can be integrated
- demonstrate comprehensive understanding and critical reflection of literature in the field of study
- demonstrate self-direction and originality in the design of quality research projects in a range of managerial and organisational settings
- understand and systematically apply research skills in quantitative, qualitative and mixed-method data collection and analysis relative to business and management research
- appreciate how the organisational context affects the design, conduct, analysis, and interpretation of research in business and management
- advance your knowledge and understanding through the completion and comprehensive write-up of independently conducted research projects.
MRes Management students are required to take the following core modules, followed by a research project (dissertation):
- Business and management as a social science
- Quantitative methods
- Qualitative methods
- Advanced research methods.
Co-registration onto the PhD programme is possible after 12 months subject to satisfactory performance.
Additional learning activities:
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
Industry opportunities may manifest themselves in the form of research posts in private and public sector organisations. The programme has a substantial theoretical and methodological core that provides an essential basis for students moving on to doctoral level study.
WHY SHOULD I STUDY MANAGEMENT AT XJTLU?
- This programme is both a stand-alone masters programme as well as a prerequisite to those who wish to earn a PhD degree in management, economics or financial economics
- Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS (FOR SEPTEMBER 2017 ENTRY)
30 June 2017 for international and students from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan
Information for international students
VISA FOR ENTRY INTO CHINA
There are a number of visas available to international students who want to study in China, depending on the duration of your intended period of study. Staff in our International Student Recruitment and Support team can advise you on the correct visa to apply for.
Fees and funding
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 percent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 percent of the tuition fee.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- PG Enquiries